Living On The Veg || Kerb Food Fest

Sticking with the Vegan theme this week here is the promised food festival post!! I had a really lovely afternoon sampling all the tasters on offer & got to discover a bunch of great places to try again. It was a super busy event with lots to see & just had an amazing atmosphere. It was lovely to be surrounded by a bunch of people all in the same mindset enjoying each others company.


Let's just say even though the atmosphere was amazing; it was definitely a day all about food. To kick off with Jacob & I headed to the Spice Box because we're both curry people. Since changing our diet we are on the look out for a fab Indian so we can still gorge on take-out. Its safe to say the Spice Box did not disappoint; the food was amazing & I just wanted more!! I was trying not to eat too much so I could sample the others but this was definitely one of the best dishes on offer. Can't beat a bit of curried cauliflower!!
Next stop was the "chip butty" which would be would the cure to anyone's greasy cravings. Even though in general it was quite a light dish it was jam packed with goodies & the "mayo" was divine. I wasn't too keen on the greasiness of the dish but if you don't mind a bit of mess this is for you. Plus who could fault the presentation?
Onto the African taster which wasn't one of my favourites. I'm not a big fan of fragrant food which is probably why it wasn't for me. Even though I was excited to try a taco alternative I probably wouldn't attempt this at home. It seemed to be a crowd favourite but I think it was a step too soon for my new vegan taste buds. On the other hand you can't deny the creativity & the colours used are beautiful. 
During the event you also received a free drink of your choice alongside the tasters with your ticket. There was a lot of different options but of course I went for a fruity cocktail which was refreshing & delicious. Wandering around listening to the music & seeing all the business owners showing their talents really puts you in good spirits. 

Even though we are curry people Jacob & I haven't tried a lot of Thai food so we didn't know what to expect from this dish. It looked beautiful & smelt great but it wasn't a hit for me. As I said I'm not a huge fan of fragrant dishes & right now we are trying to love tofu but not quite getting there. We're hoping that making a few home cooked meals will get our taste buds up to scratch. I'm not giving up on tofu just yet but for now this dish wasn't for me. 

Here's where I made a mistake & forgot to take a picture of this dish (trust me!!) but I did really enjoy it. The "chicken" slider was really great & I love the crunchy meat alternative. The sauce was slightly to sweet for me but this was definitely one of my favourite vendors.
Next another favourite of the day!! I actually really enjoyed this baguette even if it was harder to eat with the crunchiness. Even though I'm not a big fan of mushrooms I actually really enjoyed the pate. It was such a simple yet really enjoyable snack. Would definitely make a good lunch option.  

Another new texture to get used to is jackfruit which was on offer from Biff's jack shack which were serving up "wings". I really enjoyed the idea of this dish & the taste of all the spices but I was slightly put off by the crunchy to sloppy texture. I hadn't had jackfruit prior but I've heard it's a really good meat alternative so I'll give it another go but maybe in a more crunchy dish. I'm not one for wet textures. 
Last but not least was Young Vegans mud pies which were amazing. Finding vegan alternatives to deserts is definitely on my list & this was a big hit. I love nutty flavours so I really enjoyed this even if Jacob wasn't as keen. You really can't go wrong with a gooey chocolate pudding!! It was the best way to end the festival. 

All in all I had a fabulous day; it was a great way to explore more vegan alternatives & broaden my taste buds. I may not have enjoyed all the dishes but I found a bunch of places to try again. The food festival was set up really well & the tickets were super cute. I loved the whole atmosphere & would definitely go next year. It was easy to find & even if you're a little lost follow the huge arrow & you'll be fine!! I've been doing a bunch of research for local restaurants & I'm excited to try more vegan food in the near future. 

Shelley xx

No comments :

Post a Comment